Who doesn’t like to have good leisure time under a pop-up tent? But what if you put up your tent and then notice that the weather forecast says it is going to rain? How can you let the rain dampen your spirit? So, what can be done? The best thing you can do is waterproof your tent even before you decide to put it up and be ready to combat such unforeseen scenarios. Taking care of the rain damage afterward is quite a hazardous task. Doing it beforehand would be a wise thing to do.
Are tents waterproof?
Some of you would argue that you already have a waterproof tent. That depends on the fabric of the tent. Most of them are made to resist water to a great extent. But some perform well than others. Tents made with water-resistant fabric will provide you the first-degree protection. Next comes, the water-repellent tents. They have an extra coating that enables the water to bead up and slide off the canopy top. The best option would be for you to buy a completely waterproof tent as it will give you the highest degree of protection against rain. They have an extra waterproofing layer to ward off the water.
But if you already possess one that doesn’t give you the needed protection against the rain, then do not worry. All you would require is to purchase a waterproof spray or seal the tent edges with silicon. Your personalized pop-up tent will be thus ready to be used on a rainy day too.
Steps for waterproofing your tent
Attempt to do so only on a bright and sunny day. Follow the step-by-step process to know how you can get your tent waterproofed.
- Clean the canopy thoroughly by using jet spray if possible. Use canopy cleaner or do it with soap and water only.
- Scrub off any spots or stains.
- Repeat the process on both sides and let it dry completely.
- As per your convenience, lay the canvas on the ground or set it up.
- Spray mild-warm water on it (as should be done before waterproofing any surface).
- Before it dries off, apply the waterproofing spray.
- Wipe off any excess product.
- Repeat the application of the spray for a second time to get a good result.
Waterproofing the tent using seam sealer
You can either make your own seam sealer or buy one from the market. Seam sealer increases the durability of your pop-up canopy. The steps for doing so are quite simple.
- Start by cleaning the canopy with soap and water. You can also use a canopy cleaner.
- Let it dry completely.
- Apply the seam sealer to the edges and seams of your tent and leave it to dry.
And your tent is ready!
While placing an order for a tent, make sure to ask the supplier about its features and the waterproof rating. It’s not everywhere that you will get what you are looking for and depending on the material the price of the tents will also vary. Be sure about your preference before you buy one. And if you have got one at home and are worried about its waterproofing quality, you can follow the steps mentioned above and get the desired results.